Poetry Performance Workshop Series – B.A.R.S. (Breathing Art, Revealing Something)
April 2nd, 9th, 16th, and 23rd from 1 to 3 p.m. at MWC
This workshop will be split into four sections, covering the tips and tools that will be useful for young writers (ages 16 and up). From the importance on how the passion for past lyricists/poets improve and shape our writing in this present day, to help in the improvement of stellar performances. The workshop will be very beneficial for those who have a passion for performance poetry and those who want to learn to improve their knowledge of poetic devices and how to utilize them and craft their own style in writing music, etc. This workshop series will be led by Aubrey Barnes, founder of Roaring Rhetoric, an organization of spoken word and hip hop artists who are passionate about the art of lyricism.
Outline of Workshop Activities:
- First day (4/2): Write. – Discussing the importance of poetic devices in writing, while practicing integrating them into our writing.
- Second Day (4/9): Feel. – Discuss the importance of stage presence in performance poetry, and doing exercises to help improve stage presence.
- Third Day (4/16): Season. – Discussing the importance of finding each writer’s personal style, and doing exercises while giving pointers on how to discover personal style.
- Fourth Day (4/23): Perform. – Tying in all the elements previously discussed, and tying them together to prep for open mic performance.
- Sat. May 7th – Open Mic/Showcase for Workshop Participants @ MWC, free & open to the public, 2-4pm
For more information, please contact MWC or you can register today online. Registration is $20 for students (only $5 per session!) and $40 for non-students. Scholarships are available for groups and students with financial need–please contact MWC for more information about scholarships.
Bio for Aubrey Barnes
Aubrey Barnes is the Founder of Roaring Rhetoric, an organization of spoken word and hip hop artists who are passionate about the art of lyricism. He has been writing for nine years, and has been performing for two years. Besides doing shows locally, Aubrey has performed in other areas such as Iowa City, Fort Dodge, Atlanta Georgia, and North Carolina. When he isn’t performing, he is leading workshops or speaking at local schools.