Call for Submissions:
Writer’s Block E-Magazine 2021
MWC is seeking submissions for its annual Writer’s Block e-magazine, set to be released in Summer 2022. The Writer’s Block is available to current MWC members, Iron Pen contestants, and Writer’s Block contributors, so if you’re not currently a member and would like to get the e-magazine, you can become a members on our website.
Submissions are open to any writers living in the Quad City area, and/or any writers who participated in the literary arts in and around the Quad Cities in the past 12 months (or, throughout 2021).
We are particularly interested in hearing stories about how people managed to write, attending readings/workshops/other literary events, and participate in their writing communities throughout the pandemic. As one of the first organizations in the Quad Cities to move programs to a virtual format, MWC knows what a challenge it has been to continue a writing practice since 2020, and we look forward to featuring
- Reviews of local author books: we are looking for short reviews (max. 500 words) of books published by local authors – no self-reviews, please
- Personal essays on writing-related topics (max. 1,000)
- Poems (up to 3 poems per submission, no more than one poem per page, single spaced)
- Short Prose (fiction or nonfiction, up to 2,000 words, double spaced)
- Short articles (max. 500 words) about MWC events, or other literary events (in-person or virtual) in and around the Quad Cities (preferably with pictures)
- Short articles (max. 500 words) on writing, including how-to, tips and tricks, getting published, the writing life, etc.—we are open to ideas, so if you have something you think would be a good fit, contact us. We’re excited to hear your ideas!
- 2021 Iron Pen X Winners and Finalists: as a feature to the Iron Pen contest, we will be publishing all the winners and finalists in the 2021 Writer’s Block. For Iron Pen info and registration, please click here (submissions for Iron Pen 2022 open on January 1)
Formatting Guidelines for All Submissions:
- All submissions should be typed, 12pt font, Times, standard formatting
- All submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions should be sent as MS Word attachments (.doc, .docx)
- All submissions should be original work by the author
- Please include the phrase “Writer’s Block Submission” in the Subject Line of your submission email
*All submissions must be received via email by March 1, 2022*
Please contact Ryan Collins at MWC — 309-732-7330, email@example.com — with questions about submissions. Thanks and we look forward to reading your work.