This is it. This is your year. This is the year you will publish your book.
But maybe you’re at a loss as to how to actually get it done.
Then we have a workshop for you.
In this yearlong workshop series, Jodie Toohey (Wordsy Woman) will walk you through step-by-step on getting your finished manuscript edited, ready for print, and published through Createspace.
A whole year? you may ask, but considering the work involved in getting a book ready and that traditional publishers can take up to eighteen to twenty-four months after acceptance to publish, a year might not seem so bad.
However, this workshop is only for the serious aspiring Indie author. Your manuscript needs to be 90% + completed by the first class and you need to have a laptop you can connect to the internet so you can follow along with all the steps needed to get your book published.
You must also be committed and willing to put in the work, because other workshop attendees will be depending on you.
Here are the tentative session topics; meetings are every three weeks for 1 hour and 45 minutes, from 5:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.:
- February 13, 2018 Session #1: Mindset, getting into a writing practice if you don’t already have one so you can finish your draft, introductions; homework = finish writing the draft
- March 6, 2018 Session #2: Talk on big picture/developmental editing considerations. Trade manuscripts either in hard copy or email PDFs so each person has 2 or 3 people reading their book. Homework = read other MSS
- March 27, 2018 Session #3: Meet in groups to get feedback on the manuscripts. Homework = incorporate changes
- April 17, 2018 Session #4: Talk about line/copy editing considerations, trade manuscripts. Maybe a guest speaker or two. Homework: Copy/line edit other MSS
- May 8, 2018 Session #5: Receive & talk about manuscripts: Homework = make changes.
- SUMMER BREAK – Finalize Manuscripts Over the Summer.
- September 11, 2018 Session #6: Talk about trim size, font, spacing, back matter, front matter, and back cover text. Homework: Choose trim size, prepare front/back matter and incorporate that into main file. Create back cover text.
- October 2, 2018 Session #7: Step-by-step walk though formatting book interiors in class using a createspace template. Homework = finish interior formatting
- October 30, 2018 Session #8: Talk about cover design – how to find stock photos, layout, etc. How to use createspace templates. Homework: Finish covers
- November 13, 2018 Session #9: Upload MSS to createspace in class – step-by-step walk through. Homework = finish CS process – order proof, accept for pub, etc.
- Saturday December 15th: Book Launch Party where you can invite your friends and family to celebrate your new book.
The price to publish with one of those big self-publishing companies can run into the thousands. Hiring out the separate processes adds up as well. In this workshop series, you will be guided by someone who has been there and help each other, which keeps the cost way down.
Out-of-pocket outlays will/may include an ISBN number ($99-$125), print proof ($10-$15), stock photos (varies starting @$5/photo), and print books (price depends on page count and number ordered). You will need a credit card so that you may purchase these items in class.
Cost to attend the entire workshop series is $680 for MWC members and $780 for non MWC-members. This price includes instructor time and launch party supplies. The deadline to sign up is February 1, 2018. We will need a minimum of three participants to proceed and will cap attendance at fifteen. You can register online using the PayPal link below, or call Ryan Collins at 309-732-7330 to register over the phone. Or, stop by the MWC offices in the Rock Island Public Library to register.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jodie at email@example.com.